Y-WE empowers young women from diverse backgrounds to step up as leaders in their schools, communities and the world. We do this through intergenerational mentorship, intercultural collaboration, and creative programs that equip girls with the confidence, resiliency, and leadership skills needed to achieve their goals and improve their communities.
Who We Are and Whom We Serve:
Y-WE provides mentorship and empowerment programs for teen women in the greater Seattle area. We serve a diverse group of girls, ages 13-18, and women mentors, ages 19-70+. The organization is open to young women from all walks of life. Currently, over 70% of the youth are immigrants to the US and 80% of the youth and 50% of the adults are women of color. Our youth and mentors also represent a myriad of family, sexual orientation, religious, political, and educational backgrounds. We offer our programs free of charge, and we invite families to contribute as they are able. Each year we directly serve over 500 girls and women; and we impact over 1500 community members.
Y-WE is an organization born out of the enthusiasm and demand of the young women we serve. We offered a pilot of our 7-month leadership program in 2010 and it was so successful that the girls, mentors, teachers and youth workers who participated in that pilot banded together to form an organization that would offer year-round programs for girls and women. In October 2015 we received our official non-profit designation from the IRS. We are a 501(c)(3) non profit organization. Our EIN# is 47-2230647. Our 9-member board is made up of professionals who are committed to insuring that Y-WE is available for girls for years to come. We are actively seeking new board members—especially individuals with expertise in law, technology, education, accounting, fund development, and social entrepreneurship business management.
Before obtaining our independent non-profit status, we functioned under the generous fiscal sponsorship of Partners for Youth Empowerment, (PYE Global). PYE Global trains youth program facilitators across the globe in their incredible Creative Community Model. All Y-WE facilitators have been trained by PYE Global. Y-WE Senior Advisor Peggy Taylor is co-founder of both Y-WE and PYE Global. We are grateful to PYE Global for supporting Y-WE in our early years and we are proud to continue our thriving partnership. Learn more about PYE Global at www.pyeglobal.org
As many NW youth organizations struggle to balance their budgets, girls programs often suffer cuts. These groups are increasingly sending their participants to our programs. We’ve collaborated with New Futures, Neighborhood House, Ballinger Homes, Seattle & Shoreline High Schools, YMCA, Solid Ground, UW, WG206 and many other reputable organizations to serve their women and girls. The demand for our programs comes primarily from the participants. We are a feedback-based program and we shape our curriculum around the needs and interest of the women and girls we serve.
- Provide equal access to our programs for women and girls from ALL walks of life.
- Provide transportation, scholarships, & nutritious food at every event.
- Provide group mentorship from diverse adult role models who share their professional expertise, personal advice, and networks.
- Build long-lasting friendships and “positive girl-culture” between participants from different neighborhoods, religions, cultures, economic backgrounds, and generations
- Listen to the youth we serve, include young women in organizational leadership, and continually reshape our curriculum based upon their feedback.
- Partner with other organizations like to offer young women access to education and the arts.
- Incorporate PYE Global’s proven “creative community model” to build self-confidence, encourage collaboration, and promote social justice
- Engage our participants in fundraising, program planning, service projects, trainings for other programs, etc. so that they can learn how to put their own ideas into motion.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com.
Areas of Work