The Well Residency
A 9-Month Immersive Program for Personal and Collective Transformation
There’s courage involved if you want to become truth. There is a brokenopen place in a lover. Where are those qualities of bravery and sharp compassion in this group? What’s the use of old and frozen thought? I want a howling hurt. This is not a treasury where gold is stored; this is for copper. We alchemists look for talent that can heat up and change. Lukewarm won’t do. Half-hearted holding back, well-enough getting by? Not here. -Rumi
For Those Seeking:
● Personal and collective transformation
● To cultivate and mobilize the creative power of adolescence
● To experience the crucible of rigorously honest community
Purpose: The purpose of The Well is to grow adults who are magic makers and hopeful realists, and because of their commitment to their own growth, inspire our young people to grow up.
Here There Be Dragons:
This residency is not for the faint of heart. It is not an answer. It is a passage. We do not know the outcome. We won’t pretend to. There is structure but please don’t be disillusioned. The structure of the Well will not take away your discomfort. It will sturdily hold you in it. You will encounter conflict. You may want to run. This is where transformation happens. Do you have the skills to be with your own undoing to see what can unfold? You will find out. Why would I sign up for this? Why would I pay for this? You don’t have to, but if you want to, carry on.
At Springhouse, we do not view personal discovery and transformation as separate from education, but rather the essence of education. We see the self as the primary agent for cultural change.
In this residency, you have the unique opportunity to do your own personal work in community, over a longer period of time, while on the ground at a 7th-12th grade school. Through the structure of a school, where by school we mean intergenerational learning community, we are creating new culture that is oriented around the lifegiving values of connection, individuality, creativity, trust, integrity, and resiliency. We are fiercely dedicated to carrying out a mission to reimagine the purpose and practice of education and a vision where we seek to be a place of true belonging for all. Springhouse is ultimately a place where community is the crucible for learning and the place where transformation happens; all in service to a healthier, more connected world.
If you commit to this 9-month program, there is no question that you will experience difficulty and challenge. Both working with teenagers and doing your own personal work in community is rigorous. With commitment and trust, the inner struggle experienced in The Well does have the potential to be transformative.
Your perspective matters, maybe more than anything. It’s not about what you are doing necessarily. It is more about how you frame your time here. Come with trust and generosity. Expect to give as much or more than you receive.. We would not ask of you what we are not willing to commit to ourselves. The Springhouse staff is called to this work. We feel privileged to be here everyday.
The Well holds magic for those ready to enter its dark and unknown waters.
Dates: September 2020 – May 2021 – The residency will follow Springhouse Community School’s academic calendar.
Applications: To apply, send a letter of intent to email@example.com describing your interest in the program. Please include your resume or any other supplemental application materials. The application deadline is May 1st. Once your application is received, we will contact you to set up an interview. Final decisions will be made by May 27th.
Cost: $6,075 – Tuition discounts and payment plans are available. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lodging & Employment: Springhouse does not provide lodging or employment, though Springhouse staff will direct residents toward resources to secure affordable housing and employment if necessary.
○ Bi-weekly mentoring by Springhouse Head of School, Dr. Jenny Finn
○ Peer mentoring with staff and/or another Well Resident
● Springhouse Adult Programs ○ Residents will participate in the Springhouse Sacred Dance program & other adult programming
● Weekly Group Depth Work ○ Weekly evening meetings with staff and Well residents focused on soul work and the rigorous practice of authentic community
● 20 Hours Per Week at the 7-12th Grade School
○ Immerse yourself in a vibrant, intergenerational learning environment to get to know yourself more deeply
○ Identify strategies, stories, and behavioral patterns that are not working for you and practice new ways of being in community
○ Work with adolescents in an intensive and rigorous way; both to support teens and learn and grow yourself.
○ Be present to the unfolding of Spirnghouse’s bold mission to reimagine the purpose and practice of education.
*Please reference springhousecommunityschool.org for more detailed descriptions of all Springhouse programs.
For more information, email email@example.com, or call (540) 651-4673.