We are living at a critical moment in human history, facing complex challenges like no generation before. It is a time that is calling us to transform ourselves and each other as we actively engage in the healing of our world.
The Compassion in Action Fellowship is a yearlong inner & outer change program that supports college and university students in learning meditation practice, building community, and engaging in meaningful social change. The fellowship integrates ancient and modern wisdom to support young leaders of today in addressing the interconnected challenges of the twenty-first century.
Inspired by the path of the bodhisattva – awakened ones filled with compassion and committed to ending all suffering and benefiting all life—student fellows embark upon a journey that includes personal development, community building, shared learning, and collaborative action as they transform their lives, campus, and society.
In this inaugural year of the fellowship, we are excited to partner with students and campuses across North American working to create a just and flourishing world.
As a Compassion In Action Fellow You Will
- Join an inspiring community of like-minded students engaged in personal and social change
- Learn time-tested and science-backed Tibetan Buddhist meditation practices that you can use to decrease your stress, increase your focus, and improve your overall physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being
- Be supported in launching a student group on your campus to engage in shared learning & practice, and cultivate authentic, satisfying friendships that can last a lifetime
- Develop foundational life and leadership skills for creating personal, interpersonal, and social change
- Receive direct guidance and mentoring from Tibetan and Western experts
- Make a unique contribution to ending the suffering of our interconnected challenges and create a world that works for all
Who Should Apply
Students ages 18 – 25 attending colleges and universities in North America who are committed to creating inner and outer change. We are seeking applications from two students per campus to strengthen the success and impact of the fellowship. Individual applicants will also be considered.
Additional criteria for becoming a Compassion in Action Fellow include:
- You are enrolled at a college or university campus in North America
- You have an ability to commit an average of 6 hours a week to the activities of the Fellowship program; to attend our 6-day launch retreat this summer; and to participate in one weekend retreat each semester during the fellowship
- You have an interest in developing personal and group leadership skills, and in learning about how to create social change
- You have an interest in meditation and daily personal practice
- You have a commitment to diversity, equity and team collaboration
- You have a willingness to learn & grow in new ways
The curriculum for the Compassion in Action Fellowship is a dynamic blend of ancient and modern wisdom, tools and practices. Our “personal, community, world” framework creates a holistic model for leadership and social change designed to meet the needs of the twenty-first century. Skills and practices that Fellows will focus on include:
Self-Awareness * Self-Compassion * Personal Vision & Values * Critical Thinking * Mindfulness * Empathy *Emotional Intelligence * Exploring One’s Life Purpose * Healthy Living, Self-Care & Well-Being Practices
Shared Leadership * Group Facilitation * Conflict Resolution * Effective Communication * Giving & Receiving Feedback * Working Skillfully With Projections * Anti-Oppression & Collective Liberation * Generating Collective Wisdom * Collaboration & Team Building
Community Organizing * Outreach & Event Planning * Global Citizenship * Ecological Awareness * Systems Thinking * Social Networking * Creative Problem-Solving * Goal-Setting & Project Planning * Collective Impact * Dreaming Up The New Paradigm