MISSION AND VISION
The Sophia Project Inc.’s mission is to engage, educate and empower young women to make sound decisions, embrace personal awareness, and build healthy relationships.
The Sophia Project, Inc.’s envisions young women who are individually secure and socially engaged, globally conscious and community focused. Participants of The Sophia Project, Inc. are BOLD, CREATIVE, DARING, and CONFIDENT. These young women are effective leaders among their peers, ready to dispatch their gifts in the community. Graduates of The Sophia Project, Inc. are aware of how her relationship with self and others necessarily impacts her decisions and ability to be a successful and valuable member of her community.
WHAT WE DO – Our Signature Programs
In School Sessions
- At the beginning of each school year, TSP develops cell groups where our students establish safe space and build a community of peers to discuss sensitive topics that possibly can distract them during the course of the academic day.
- Our focus is developing healthy relationships among their peer group, and creating coping mechanisms to manage anger, avoid fights, or conflicts with authoritative figures.
- It is our desire to help them manage their behaviors and improve upon their leadership skills, which we believe will have a positive impact on their self-efficacy as well as help them to function in a more productive manner in their home and academic environments.
- We present to them a 13 week curriculum (which incorporates our four pillars 1-Scholarship, 2-Social graces, 3- Spirituality, 4- Standard Bearer) that deals with topics such as anger management, self-esteem, sex, teen violence, and other very specific topics to teenage girls
Keep It Safe & Sacred (K.I.S.S.)
- Friday Night K.I.S.S. is the heart beat of our program. Every Friday night for three hours, The Sophia Project gathers all of the young women in our program from each school into one major group. And we repeat our theory of change with a larger audience.
- Our focus on Friday nights is to provide workshops that promote self-efficacy through one of our four pillars: Scholarship, Social Grace, Standard Bearer, & Spirituality. Each week there are guided workshops facilitated by mentors to build camaraderie, create meaningful connections, and hopefully create an opportunity for open dialogue between mentor and mentee.
- Each Friday night the young women our focused on building healthy relationships with each other, and with the mentors, through one of our pillars.
- During the 13-week session of K.I.S.S. Sophia Project focuses on each student developing their strengths and addressing their weaknesses.It is our hope that the K.I.S.S. sessions gives our girls an opportunity to be exposed to things beyond their imagination through creative workshops and field trips
Conversation with Our Daughters
Each Semester our male mentors facilitate (4) workshop entitled, “Conversation with Our Daughters.” The workshop is designed to give our young women an opportunity to interact with positive male role models. The male mentors are responsible for creating safe, with a similar approach to how we conduct Friday Night K.I.S.S.